WHAT ARE BREAST IMPLANT SYMPTOMS AND SYMPTOMS OF SILICONE TOXICITY
Breast implant illness is a period of sickness affecting the body caused by silicone or saline breast implants. Symptoms of breast implant illness vary from body to body due to personal differences, the type of breast implants and the progression of the illness however it appears that a few symptoms show up a little earlier and more consistently such as fatigue/low energy, cognitive dysfunction (brain fog, memory loss), headaches, joint and muscle pain, hair loss, recurring infections, swollen lymph nodes and swollen glands, rashes, IBS, problems with thyroid and adrenals. In my personal opinion, if you are experiencing the above symptoms, it is your body indicating to you that the implants are causing illness and should be removed as soon as possible. Because breast implants affect most body systems, symptoms are widespread and can be related to toxicity, biotoxicity, immune dysfunction/failure, auto-immune diseases, neurological symptoms, endocrine symptoms and metabolic symptoms. Here is a longer list of symptoms, but in no way complete, that have been associated with breast implants:
FATIGUE OR CHRONIC FATIGUE
COGNITIVE DYSFUNCTION (BRAIN FOG, DIFFICULTY CONCENTRATING, MEMORY LOSS)
MUSCLE PAIN AND WEAKNESS, JOINT PAIN
HAIR LOSS, DRY SKIN AND HAIR
POOR SLEEP AND INSOMNIA
DRY EYES, DECLINE IN VISION, VISION DISTURBANCES
HYPO/HYPER THYROID SYMPTOMS
HYPO/HYPER ADRENAL SYMPTOMS
ESTROGEN/PROGESTERONE IMBALANCE OR DIMINISHING HORMONES
SLOW HEALING OF CUTS AND SCRAPES, EASY BRUISING
THROAT CLEARING, COUGH, DIFFICULTY SWALLOWING, CHOKING, REFLUX, METALLIC TASTES
GASTROINTESTINAL AND DIGESTIVE ISSUES
FEVERS, NIGHT SWEATS, INTOLERANT TO HEAT/COLD
NEW AND PERSISTENT BACTERIAL AND VIRAL INFECTIONS
SLOW CLEARING OF COMMON COLDS AND FLUES
FUNGAL INFECTIONS, YEAST INFECTIONS, CANDIDA, SINUS AND UTI INFECTIONS
SUDDEN FOOD INTOLERANCE AND ALLERGIES
SLOW MUSCLE RECOVERY AFTER ACTIVITY
HEART PALPITATIONS, CHANGES IN NORMAL HEART RATE OR HEART PAIN
SORE AND ACHING JOINTS OF SHOULDERS, HIPS, BACKBONE, HANDS AND FEET
SWOLLEN AND TENDER LYMPH NODES IN BREAST AREA, UNDERARM, THROAT, NECK, GROIN
BOUTS OF DEHYDRATION FOR NO REASON
NUMBNESS/TINGLING SENSATIONS IN UPPER AND LOWER LIMBS
COLD AND DISCOLORED LIMBS, HANDS AND FEET
GENERAL CHEST DISCOMFORT SHORTNESS OF BREATH
PAIN AND OR BURNING SENSATION AROUND IMPLANT AND OR UNDERARM
LIVER AND KIDNEY DYSFUNCTION
TOXIC SHOCK SYMPTOMS
ANXIETY, DEPRESSION AND PANIC ATTACKS
FEELING LIKE YOU ARE DYING
LEAKY GUT, IBS AND SIBO
SYMPTOMS OF OR DIAGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
SYMPTOMS OF OR DIAGNOSIS OF LYME DISEASE
SYMPTOMS OF OR DIAGNOSIS OF EBV
SYMPTOMS OF OR DIAGNOSIS OF AUTO-IMMUNE DISEASES SUCH AS; RAYNAUD’S SYNDROME, HASHIMOTO’S THYROIDITIS, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, SCLERODERMA, LUPUS, SJOGREN’S SYNDROME, NONSPECIFIC CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
SYMPTOMS OF OR DIAGNOSIS OF BIA-ALCL LYMPHOMA
WHAT TESTS SHOULD I HAVE FOR BREAST IMPLANT ILLNESS?
Once you recognize yourself in the above symptoms and realize your breast implants are the cause of your symptoms and illness, it is best to stop wasting precious time and money on testing and misdiagnoses and rather go straight to EXPLANT . There are no definitive test(s) to prove that your breast implants are the cause of your symptoms and illness but the following medical tests have been used to investigate common problems in us caused by breast implants, silicone, silicone chemicals and heavy metals however many women show just inside normal ranges in regard to testing and are still very ill:
Medical Lab Tests
1. ANA ANTINUCLEAR ANTIBODY (Checks autoimmune markers)
2. CBC + LIPIDS (Checks red, white blood cells, platelets, anemia, infection)
3. NK CELLS (Checks Immunodeficiency)
4. CMP COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL (Checks glucose, electrolytes, kidney and liver)
5. BONE DENSITY – (Checks for low bone density)
6. THYROID – TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, TPO Ab and TG Ab
7. TEMPERATURE TEST FOR THYROID
8. ADRENAL HORMONES (Cortisol, DHEA-S, Estradiol, Estrogen, Progesterone, Pregnenlone, Testosterone Free and Total, Sex Hormone Binding Globuline)
9. B12 AND FOLATE DEFICIENCY – (Checks for low B12 and low folate)
10. VITAMIN D, 25 HYDROXY (Checks for Vitamin D Deficiency)
11. IRON AND FERRITIN TEST (Checks for iron derangement)
12. IODINE LEVELS
13. CRP-C AND ESR – (Checks for inflammation)
14. APA ASSAY (Checks for abnormal immune system response with Fibromyalgia)
15. VISUAL CONTRAST SENSITIVITY EYE TEST AT VCSTEST.COM – (Checks for mold biotoxin)
16. LEAKY GUT, SIBO AND IBS TESTS
17. INFECTIONS SUCH AS EBV, LYME, H-PYLORI, MYCOPLASMA, INTRACELLULAR, COCKSACKIE, CYTOMEGALOVIRUS, HERPES ETC
18. CANDIDA, IgM and IgG
19. PARASITES OF THE GUT
20. EKG AND ECHOCARDIOGRAM FOR HEART CHANGES
21. MRI WITHOUT GANDOLINIUM CONTRAST WHICH CAUSES TOXICITY IN US OR ULTRASOUND TO DETECT LEAKS/RUPTURES (We advise against Mammograms due to their ability to rupture breast implants)
1. The Silicone Hypersensitivity Panel (betterlabtestsnow.com, done through elisaact.com. has existed for years and is once again gaining popularity but it should not be used to rule out breast implant illness as results vary from woman to woman and ingredients vary from implant to implant. It is a panel of 19 items, including materials commonly used in breast implants, and related possible irritants. Please note this test does NOT test for silicone levels within your body, only sensitivity to it. Testing for sensitivity to: Silicone, Silicates (silicon dioxide), Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Tin/stannous chloride, Titanium dioxide, Petroleum byproducts of Xylene, Toluene, Benzene, Latex, Phenol, Formaldehyde, Vinyl chloride, Green #5, Blue #2, Violet #2, Aspergillus niger, Candida albicans, Aluminum.
2. Genetic Testing through https://www.23andme.com/ for MTHFR genetic variants and methylation issues is highly suggested as about half or more of us with breast implant illness test positive for MTHFR which affects our ability to detox. My MTHFR status accounted for some of my own particular health picture including my level of toxicity from breast implants and heavy metals and my very low B12 which causes many of our symptoms. I have MTHFR genetic variants that affect my ability to methylate (break down) toxins and to detox metals. Many of us do have MTHFR genetic variants and without supporting our methylation pathways with specific nutrients very little detoxing and healing will happen. After receiving the raw data from 23andme.com upload it to a few other websites such as Geneticgenie.org, Nutrahacker.com and Knowyourgenetics.com which explain your particular genetic variants and how to support with food and supplements.
3. The ION Profile is a nutritional analysis through Genova that measures over 125 key nutrient biomarkers and ratios that can help identify nutritional shortfalls that may be contributing to complex chronic conditions. The ION Profile evaluates organic acids, fat-soluble vitamins, Coenzyme Q10, homocysteine, oxidative stress markers, nutrient and toxic elements, fatty acids, and amino acids. Breast implants deplete many of our important nutrients and minerals which drive our enzyme systems and thus our health processes.
4. DNA Connections Full View test through DNA Connections which identifies bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites in removed teeth, blood, tissue, implants, bone grafts or other biological samples. It tests for 88 different pathogens, including tetanus, botulism, diphtheria, HPV 16 and HPV 18, Candida albicans and more. Using PCR, one of the most advanced tools in molecular biology today, specificity of this test is one in a trillion or greater and the sensitivity of the test is the ability to detect the DNA of between 1 and 10 microbes. DNA Connexions provides Full View test kits for collecting blood, tissue, teeth, root canals, cavitations, implants, bone grafts, paper points, swabs, floss, and saline. Samples do not have to be orally based or obtained by a healthcare professional.
WHY DO BREAST IMPLANTS CAUSE ILLNESS?
Breast implants cause illness because they are large foreign objects which overwhelm and impair our immune system causing immune deficits and auto-immune symptoms. Immune deficits allow opportunistic bacteria and fungi infections which produce biotoxins which overload our organs. In addition, implants are made of silicone which is a chemical soup of dangerous toxins and heavy metals that when implanted in the body begin breaking down and circulating particulates of silicone and neurotoxic, cytotoxic, carcinogenic chemicals and toxic heavy metals contaminating tissues, organs, glands and harming body systems. Simply put silicone is a biologically active and toxic substance that causes biotoxins and systemically poisons and impairs many functions of the body.
WHEN DO BREAST IMPLANTS CAUSE ILLNESS?
It makes no difference whether your implants are cohesive gel, saline with a silicone shell or silicone. In fact, the cohesive gel implants seem to be the worst implants because they contain more aggressive chemicals used in making the silicone cohesive. Saline were deemed the safe implant however due to valve ports and faulty valves they become colonized with mold producing biotoxins. No matter the implant type, sooner than you realize, all breast implants impair our immune system and the silicone shell deteriorates releasing toxins and allowing colonization and the filling whether cohesive gel, saline or gel silicone permeates the shell contaminating our body. According to several studies, most implants deteriorate and or rupture within six to eight years but sooner in many cases.
For instance, I was implanted with cohesive gel implants October 2005. The plastic surgeon informed me breast implants should be replaced every ten years to be on the safe side and I was planning on having them removed in ten years. Despite the ten year safety plan, I noticed breast implant symptoms such as fatigue, brainfog, slow recovery, muscle pain and hypothyroid in the first couple years after implantation. Not realizing my symptoms could be from breast implants, I attempted to manage with better nutrition, exercise and supplements. But as time progressed, more symptoms appeared such as ringing in my ears, easy bruising, slow healing of cuts and scrapes, hormonal imbalances, yeast infections, ear infections, hair loss, headaches and greater fatigue. Shortly, the fatigue worsened to the point I felt something was very wrong. Then in a short period a storm of other symptoms quickly showed up such as food intolerance/allergies, daily headaches, excruciatingly sore/aching shoulder and hip joints, aching backbone, severe dehydration at times, muscle weakness, swollen and sore lymph in the upper body, sore kidneys and liver, fevers during day, night sweats, fast/irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, chest discomfort, burning/pain around the implant and underarm, panic attacks all finally culminating in toxic shock like symptoms due to the amount of toxic chemicals circulating in my body from silicone.
According to the plastic surgeon who removed my implants seven years and three months after initial implantation, they were intact with no ruptures or leaks. Before explantation surgery, my surgeon asked me if I wanted my implants back and they were brought to me a few hours after I woke from surgery. They smelled strongly of chemicals similar to wet silicone caulking. I inspected them very carefully and the left breast implant has an air bubble in it less than one cm in width at the inside surface of the shell. There should be no air bubbles in cohesive gel implants which tells me the silicone shell was permeable inside my body for some time even though not technically ruptured. The history of my symptoms also tells me that the silicone shells of my breast implants were permeable and poisoning me me as early as the first few years after being implanted.
Thousands of ladies have breast implant illness and as such we created a Facebook support group Breast Implant Illness and Healing By Nicole where you can chat with 20,000 other ladies who have been through the same symptoms, finding a surgeon, surgery, recovery, detoxification and healing. Or you can click the Facebook button at the end of any page of this website which will also take you directly to the support group.
I look forward to your comments, feedback and personal stories about your symptoms due to breast implants. Please see the comment form below. Thank you.